The Thompson Shuswap Master Gardeners Chapter was formed January 2010. We provide horticultural advice to the gardening public in the Thompson Shuswap area. Our area currently includes, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, & Lillooet. We hope to expand this area as we train master gardemer candidates from other communities such as Revelstoke, Sicamous, Barrier, Clearwater, Merritt, Cache Creek, and Ashcroft.
What do Thompson Shuswap Master Gardeners do?
Master Gardeners are volunteers who:
- hold information clinics for the gardening public at gardening events, farmer’s markets, local nurseries and garden centres during the growing season
- make presentations on gardening issues to garden clubs and similar organizations as well as to the general public
- coordinate special gardening events such as Seedy Saturday or gardening workshops
- act as consultants to community gardens and school gardens
- participate in garden tours and other community gardening events
Many gardening enthusiasts have taken the Master Gardener Basic Training program to improve their knowledge of botany, soil health, diagnosis of plant problems, propagation and pruning techniques, vegetable gardening, the principles of xeriscaping and more.
The objective of the Master Gardeners is to educate the gardening public on environmentally responsible gardening practices. To this end, they are trained to recommend natural pest control strategies and least-toxic pesticides. In addition they encourage the use of proper cultural practices to prevent pests problems including the principles of “right plant, right place” all of which are required to have a balanced and healthy garden.
How can I find out more about the Master Gardeners program? see TSMG Training Brochure