BECOME A MASTER GARDENER - NEXT CLASS STARTS JANUARY 2018 - contact information is below
The Vancouver Master Gardeners welcome enthusiastic gardeners with a willingness to share their interest and experience with the public. To become a Vancouver Master Gardener you must take our Master Gardener Basic Training Program. This Program runs each January through the end of March , every tuesday (all day) for 12 consecutive weeks and is divided into two components: Classroom (Theory) and Master Gardener in Training (Volunteer Service).
Classroom – Theory
This portion of Basic Training has an intensive curriculum combining reading, classroom instruction by local experts, assignments and in-class workshops. The classroom training provides an overview of environmentally responsible gardening practices. You will receive up-to-date, relevant information covering gardening basics including:
- botany & scientific names
- soils, compost, water quality & lawns
- herbaceous ornamentals
- pruning & propagation
- woody landscape plants, trees & shrubs, roses , vines, houseplants
- fruit trees, berries & vegetables
- site specific planting
- basic entomology, IPM & weed management
- plant diseases & their diagnosis
- plant identification
- the course finishes with a mock clinic to prepare students for volunteering.
Students must do their homework, complete their assignments and pass a final exam before proceeding on to the second component of the training.
Master Gardener in Training – Volunteer Service
Students’ volunteer hours are completed over a two year period. Hours can be completed in a variety of ways including providing gardening advice to the public at nurseries and garden centres, and participating in community projects, plant information hotlines, and writers’ and speakers’ groups.
Successful completion of the Program requires completion of all homework assignments, a minimum of 85% on the open book final exam and the fulfillment of 75 approved volunteer hours within the 18 month time period following the course.
Once students have successfully completed both the Classroom and the Volunteer Service components of the Program, they will earn their Master Gardener Certificate.
After the Training
Master Gardeners remain active in the program by completing at least 25 hours of volunteer service each year, plus 10 hours of continuing gardening education. Continuing education hours can be accumulated by attending the speaker portion of Chapter meetings, field trips, the Vancouver MG Spring Seminar, an Advanced MG Training Program, or other approved workshops and horticultural courses. The education must be given by a recognized educational establishment which may include but are not limited to; Universities, Colleges, School Board Continuing Education Programs, Professional Societies or Associations .
CONTACT US at the email address BELOW for More Information after you have read the above criteria
- The Vancouver Master Gardener Basic Training Program STARTS JAN 2018 thru March 2018 and runs for a full day on 12 consecutive tuesdays - .
- Please send us an email for more information, and to be added to the list for notification of the next Information Session if you are interested in the program
- Application forms are here. >>>>>>>You may cut and paste the questions into the body of the email or print off, fill out the form, scan and email it.
- Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The pictures on this page show just a few students with their Botany assignments,,,
Homework! Students complete taxonomic profiles of various plant families